We all love the way a bit of sparkle can glam up our look when the sun goes down, but why not try sprinkling that magic on a daytime ensemble?
Lately, celebs and style-setters have been letting their sequins see the light of day. After a lesson in the art of balancing your party garb with casual-wear, you’ll be ready to do it too!
Let’s check out a few celebs rocking casual sparkle for style inspiration.
Above, Jessica Simpson shows off one of the easiest ways to amp up your daytime look: add a sequined bag. Keeping the rest of her look casual (denim always works) helps the sequin tote look fun, not formal.
One Tree Hill’s Shantel VanSanten works her sequined shorts with playful wedges and a citrus-hued top. The loose waves and untucked button-down keep this look fresh and fun, not overly dressy. Beyonce’s distressed, loose-fitting tee and cool leather jacket rough up the girly vibe of her sexy green miniskirt.
The great thing about this trend is that you can play around with it, and you don’t have to buy a single new article of clothing. We all have a sequined dress, skirt, or bag that sits neglected in our closets until a special occasion comes around. Let me tell you: your paillete-encrusted tank top just got a lot more versatile!
Here are the key things to remember when wearing sequins for day:
- Balance the formality of your sparkles with quintessentially casual pieces like Converse, t-shirts, and blue jeans.
- Never wear more than one spangled piece at a time. Not only will you hurt people’s eyes – you will look like you got lost on your way to the Miss America Pageant.
- As always, proportion is key. If you choose a mini like Beyonce, remember to cover up on top. If you try sequined harem pants instead, a low-cut (but still tasteful) tank top will balance the volume.
- Have fun! This is your chance to bring a little of that childhood whimsy (who doesn’t love playing dress up?) back into your grownup wardrobe.
Here are a few of my favorite daytime sequin combos:
1. Try a sequined mini-dress with pumped-up kicks and a cool leather jacket for a downtown rocker vibe.
2. This cool spangled tank gets a tomboyish vibe when paired with the following studded loafers and skinny red jeans, or try it under the veggie leather jacket!
3. These slouchy sequined pants make such a statement, it’s best to keep the rest of the ensemble incredibly simple, and add one (or two) pops of color.
I hope these sequined looks have given you some inspiration, and convinced you it’s a good thing to shine – especially when the sun’s out. Happy sparkling!